Course in Information Retrieval
|Lecturer||Jun.-Prof. Dr. Martin Potthast|
|Lab Advisor||Lukas Gienapp|
|Workload||2 SWS Lecture, 3 SWS Lab|
|Lecture||Tuesdays, 11:15 - 12:45, S3.201, starting October 15|
|Lab||Tuesdays, 13:15 - 14:45, S3.201, starting October 15|
|Contact||Email, or via Discord server "irlecture"|
|Exam||30 minute presentation, written report|
- Information Retrieval » Introduction » Organization, Literature
- Information Retrieval » Introduction » Retrieval Problems
Information Retrieval »
Architecture of a Search Engine
- Information Retrieval » Evaluation » Laboratory Experiments
- Information Retrieval » Evaluation » Performance Measures
Information Retrieval »
Training and Testing
- Information Retrieval » Retrieval Models » Overview of Retrieval Models
- Information Retrieval » Retrieval Models » Empirical Models
- Machine Learning » Statistical Learning » Probability Basics
- Machine Learning » Statistical Learning » Bayes Classificatrion
- Information Retrieval » Retrieval Models » Probabilistic Models
- Information Retrieval » Retrieval Models » Algebraic Models
- Information Retrieval » Retrieval Models » Generative Models
The lab consists of building and evaluating an information system for a specific domain. This entails related work search, data acquisition, data cleansing, indexing, selection and implementation of suitable retrieval models, development of a UI, evaluation of search quality, submission of a written report and well-documented source code, and a final presentation.
Successful participation in the lab project is a prerequisite to complete the module.
- 2019-10-15. Introduction. [slides] [shared task]
- 2019-10-29. Literature Research, Oral Presentations & Scientific Writing. [slides]
- 2019-11-05. Docker. [slides]
- 2019-11-12. Short Project Presentations & Brainstorming Session.
Important: there will be no lecture on 12.11., instead, the lab session will take place from 11:15 - 12:45
Each group should give a short (3-5 Minutes) outline of their planned project. It is not required to give a fully detailed report, rather a few short talking points to discuss in a brainstorming later.
- 2019-12-17. Demo Session.
Each group should give a short (3-5 Minutes) demo of their prototype. Also, each group should register for the shared task. [Registration]
- 2020-01-21. Project Presentations
Final presentations of the projects. Each group has 30 minutes. Time slots will be assigned in the session on 2019-12-17.
- 2020-01-28. Project Presentations
- 2020-02-04. Project Presentations
- Task 1
- Task 2